Book of Remembrance 5780
Please check your family’s Book of Remembrance listing by clicking HERE. We do our very best to have the information correct, however, if your family listing is in need of attention, please contact the office, or click HERE for a form.
Ritual Committee Mission Statement
The BHSS Ritual Committee works in partnership with clergy, staff, and fellow congregants to develop new programs and policies that address the evolving needs of our congregation and provides logistical support for all ritual activities.
Live Stream Link HERE.
Welcome to our service! The link above will take you to our Shabbat evening and holiday live stream. You can also watch previous services, which are archived.
BHSS Greeter Program – It’s a Mitzvah!
Need more information? Read on…
“Following in the footsteps of Abraham and Sarah, we too welcome guests and members alike.” The BHSS Greeter Program is an initiative to welcome members and guests on Friday evenings as they arrive for services. You do NOT greet for the entire service; your commitment is only for 30 minutes and other volunteers will take the rest of the time. You do NOT need any special skill. All we ask is that you smile and welcome people to BHSS with open arms! Now that you know, please consider being a greeter. Sign up is easy! Click here for available times.
In case of lifecycle emergency during business hours, please contact Lisa Barrack or Iris Greenberg in the synagogue office at 201-512-1983. In case of lifecycle emergency when the office is closed, if you call the office number you will be directed to emergency contact instructions.
Beth Haverim Shir Shalom Mourner’s Guide
The Guide contains basic information about Jewish rituals and customs associated with grief and mourning. Please feel free to share it with anyone who you think might find it helpful. You are encouraged to contact Rabbi Ilana or Cantor Perper for pastoral support.
For guidelines for observing a yahrzeit at home, click here.
Shabbat Candle Lighting Times
For a list of weekly candle lighting times and torah portions, click Worship Calendar.
Would you like to welcome Shabbat at home? Or say goodbye to Shabbat with Havdallah? Click here for all the blessings you need!
Shabbat Morning Congregational Honors
Shabbat morning congregational honors are a tradition at BHSS. If you would like to participate in a Saturday morning service by doing a Hebrew or English reading, please let us know!
Call Lisa or Iris at the office at 201-512-1983 or email [email protected].
For a downloadable pdf chart of the Jewish holiday dates for the next few years, click here.
What does the ritual committee do?
Our mission statement above explains the big picture. Here are just a few of our specific responsibilities….
- Schedule lay leadership for Shiva Minyan and Erev Shabbat when clergy is not available
- Arrange for greeters, ushers and presenters for Erev Shabbat, Shabbat mornings and holiday services.
- Polish the silver and clean the “whites” for the High Holidays.
- Keep Ritual page of the website up-to-date.
How do I get involved? Show up!
- Do I have to attend monthly meetings? Attendance is encouraged, but not required.
- Can I help occasionally? Yes, there are many opportunities. Be a greeter, become a shiva minyan leader, schlep for the holidays, help with holiday preparation, and more.
- Any questions at all? Reach out to the Ritual co-chairs: Judy Teich at 914.319.2590 or [email protected] or Debbie Royal at 201.310.7483 or [email protected].